Sunday 9 July 2017

Shortcut: knives, magic and golf carts

Given that Shortcut has been on two runs with the team now (even if the team was just me, him and Neon) and is likely to be in a few more at least, I figure it’s about time for me to collect my thoughts on him. And like I said, he’s a better mage then Captain Cancer, which is also a plus in my book. Unlike some others, Shortcut (or Glen Quarry to give his real name) didn’t really come into Shadowrunning, Instead, it sort of came to him.

I don’t know much about his past and how he got to where he is right now, but there’s a few interesting things about Shortcut. The first is that he’s one of those stupidly rare types that are not only awakened, but poses spellcasting abilities and adept powers. How this happened and where he learned to use said abilities I don’t know as yet, but there’s probably a fascinating story involved.


Glen Quarry, aka Shortcut
The result is though that he possesses an array of useful spells and abilities. I’ve seen him use several combat spells, including a devastating acid wave that was great at wiping out Weenies and their rides, but there’s a few other less flashy but no less useful ones in his repertoire. He also has your basic mage abilities like assessing, which is insanely useful in and of itself. In fact, the first job he was on, we wouldn’t have been able to pull off without him.

Added to that his adept powers include such tricks as clinging on to the underside of vehicles, sneaking and knife-throwing. He’s really, really good at the last part, being able to magically boost his abilities and sometimes collect them afterwards. Plus, he seems to have a lot of knives on hand at any one given time, which is a skill in and of itself.

Plus he has a number of other useful skills. Besides sneaking, infiltrating and not being seen, he’s handy with machines (Oh wow, Dwarf serotype much?) and knows a few useful people. Plus there’s the other great skill he has: being a Dwarf. I’m serious here. You dress him up as a repairman, a mechanic, a waiter, a janitor or whatever else and he might as well be invisible. Nobody pays attention to the Dwarf, ever.

But as I said, there’s the big mystery of how this all came to be. I haven’t pried as yet, but I have no doubt that somebody taught him how to use his magic, be an expert sneak and throw knives with lethal precision. However, given that is day hob is a groundskeeper at an expensive, upper class golf course, I cannot imagine how that was or, for that matter, how he ended up where he is right now. I know how he got into Shadowrunning; that much is simple. Somebody noticed that he could Magic and offered him some extracurricular income. He doesn’t like rich people, snobs or corp types, so that means he’s perfect for the job. True, he’s pretty permanently grumpy, but that’s also a handy form of motivation.


Oh, and he gets around in a Golf Cart. Seriously. 
His pimpin' ride

No comments:

Post a Comment