Sunday 27 September 2015

Captain Cancer

So we seem to have picked up a mage. Not gonna lie. He’s a weird one.

Snappy dresser, horrible personal habits
I’m calling him Captain Cancer for the moment for reasons that are going to become obvious. I don’t think he’s picked a Street Name for himself, and I suspect that it’s going to be one of those cases where the nickname that somebody gave him sticks. (One day, I’ll tell you the story of how I ended up as “Crimson”. Okay, it’s probably obvious, but hey). There’s a good reason for that, and it’s obvious if you speak to him for more then a couple of minutes.

CC is a heavy smoker. I mean, heavy. He seems to have a cigarette in his mouth all the time, and pretty much lights up a new one as soon as he’s done. He also drops his ash and stubs them out wherever he can, which means that he’s already gotten on Freddie’s nerves for smoking in the Bulldog. I mean, Feddie insists we wipe our feet before we enter. Of course he’s going to freak out when someone drops ash in there. Besides, he just put in that nice carpet, and it’s got synthleather seats, not the crappy cracked vinyl like every other Bulldog.

Added to that, he hates being anywhere that he can’t smoke. Seriously, the first time we met, he lit up as soon as he was out of the store. Hell, he lights up underneath “no smoking” signs. Yeah, that’s an addict all right.

On the other hand, he is damned good with that magic of his, and that’s after even just a single run. He used Physical Masks to sneak me and Neon into a crime scene past KE investigators. He then used a Physical Mask to get into a Hellhound hangout as one of them. He used an illusion to lure the Azzie strike force out of cover and also give away the location of their sniper. And that’s just one day.

But there’s one thing that does confuse me. He’s got obvious cybereyes. And it seems that he has other ‘ware as well. I know that Cyberware screws with your magic, and I know that the more of it you have, the worse your magic is (I’ve been told that I’ve got almost no essence left ‘cause of all the ‘ware I have). So then why does he have cybereyes and other junk?


Still, it looks like we have a magic guy on the team. That’s our last capability gap covered. And I can think of a trillion and six times when one woulda been useful so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment